English & French
Trained as a soldier, economist, lawyer and administrator, Tim has served in 13 different missions working in military operations, Security Sector Reform [SSR], Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration [DDR], human rights, political affairs, & elections:
• He spent two years with the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine along the contact line between the forces of the Government and the separatist “Donetsk People’s Republic”. Prior to that, he served as a long-term Canadian observer for the Presidential and legislative elections, which took place after the Maidan Revolution. He personally reported from the east on the establishment of separatist statelets and the arrival of Russian mercenaries.
• Following the February 17 Revolution in Libya against Muammar Qaddafi, he was the Senior DDR and Defence Advisor in the UN Support Mission in Libya. Besides managing the creation of a proto white paper on defence reform, Tim initiated several other projects to help the Libyans bring order to a sector decimated by over 40 years of Qaddafi's chaotic rule.
• As Senior Coordination & Planning Officer for the UN Interim Force in Lebanon after the Israel-Hezbollah War, he represented the UN in all the international security sector working groups and was responsible for liaison with the different security agencies, Beirut-based UN agencies, and NGOs. Besides contributing the political aspect to Mission plans, he provided analysis on security & political conditions to Mission leadership.
• As the UN Team Leader responsible for repatriating foreign combatants in the Congolese Province of South Kivu, Tim led a large and diverse team of international, local and attached military staff that returned thousands of foreign combatants with whom no peace agreement had been signed, participated intimately in human rights investigations and pioneered security sector reform in order to help the peace process.
• As Operations Officer of the UN Military Observer Team in Senafe, Eritrea; besides monitoring the withdrawal of Ethiopian troops from the Temporary Security Zone, Tim initiated human rights investigations, opened a school with his own money and brought the Halo Trust in to start demining.
• Working for the UN Office of the Secretary General's Personal Representative in Cambodia during a tumultuous period following a coup d'état, Tim monitored the return of opposition politicians and investigated intimidation and fraud during a highly-contested general election.
• As a Justice Reform and Investigations Officer in the UN Human Rights Field Operation in Rwanda, he worked in Gisenyi and Ruhengeri where 99% of atrocities took place during the brutal insurgency war of 1997-1998.
• Tim's first peacekeeping operation was a liaison officer for the 5th Canadian Multinational Brigade as part of the Implementation Force [IFOR] in Bosnia-Herzogovina. Besides degrees in law and public administration from the Université de Montréal and Harvard University, Tim possesses a Masters in international economics from the Université de Paris II and a bachelor in business administration from the École des Hautes Études Commerciales, Montréal. He has published a number of scholarly articles and while at Harvard, helped found the Africa Policy Journal. He has also been an Executive Fellow in Residence at the Geneva Centre for Security Policy.