Veteran Stories:
Lionel Meunier


  • Lionel Meunier with two comrades. Place and date unknown.

    Lionel Meunier
  • Lionel Meunier in his Royal Canadian Legion uniform.

    Lionel Meunier
  • Lionel Meunier at the Royal Canadian Legion in Chandler, Quebec, July 13th, 2010.

    Historica Canada
Enlarge Image
Listen to this story

"I would have spent twenty years in the army but it would have killed my mother. She was happy when I came home. It eased her nerves."


I enjoyed military life. I was drawn to it. I made my adoptive mother sick. When I was called up in 1942, I was working in the forest, for the Boos company. The foreman told me he would ask that I be exempt. I told him no, that I wanted to go. I passed my exams, I was accepted and I stayed in the army. I did my basic training at Montmagny [Quebec]. I did my advanced training as a gunner in Petawawa [Ontario]. In July 1943, I was sent west to Terrace, British Columbia. It was quite far. After that, I was transferred to Wainwright, Alberta. When I arrived in Wainwright, Alberta, I was issued a machine gun; a Bren gun. Meanwhile, my mother was working to get me out of the army. She was afraid of losing me. That’s why I hadn’t volunteered; I knew it would hurt her. My superior told me that she was trying to get me out of Alberta and out of the army. I told him that if he helped me with my parents, I would commit to staying in the army. Three weeks later, I was granted a 30-day leave. Thirty days to travel from Alberta to the Gaspésie. I didn’t have any money to get there. I called my parents. They sent me money and I went home. When I arrived, I told her that I could only stay for 30 days. Lord, the pain that caused her. I promised to stay, that I would wait until they came to get me. They came to get me quite a while later. They took me to Quebec City... I spent 18 days in New Carlisle. At Quebec City, they told me I could be charged with desertion. I told them that I wouldn’t accept that. I don’t know any deserter who would give their address. I presented copies of telegrams and put them on the table. [The officer] told me I could choose a court martial. I told him I trusted his judgment. Fifteen days “CB” [confined to barracks]. Afterwards, I was transferred to the Medical Corps in Peterborough [Ontario]. It wasn’t too hard. If I had chosen the court martial, I would have certainly gone to jail. I had spent 18 days in New Carlisle, so I had already paid a high price. I wasn’t treated poorly. I was regarded rather well by army. In Peterborough, someone with a higher rank than me called me to his office one morning to tell me I had blown my chance to become a lance corporal; had I only shown more respect for the rank of the officer who had come to deliver the news. But I wasn’t a commander; I prefer to do it myself than to give orders. I liked military life. I would have spent twenty years in the army but it would have killed my mother. She was happy when I came home. It eased her nerves.
Follow us